NYC Criminal Defense & Immigration Attorneys
Schedule Your Case Evaluation 888.502.8461
FAQ: Obtaining a U-Visa in New Jersey

FAQ: Obtaining a U-Visa in New Jersey

The U-Visa is for immigrants who are the victims of serious crimes and can provide useful information and help regarding the investigation or prosecution of those crimes. Individuals who are awarded the U-Visa can legally live in the United States for four years. U-Visa recipients can apply for a green card after three years of legal status. Below, we answer common questions people have about obtaining a U-Visa in New Jersey.

Question #1: What Are the Requirements for a U-Visa?

To obtain a U-Visa, you musthave suffered serious physical or mental abuse as a result of having been the victim of the following qualifying crimes:

  • Domestic violence
  • Rape
  • Torture
  • Sexual assault
  • Being held hostage
  • Female genital mutilation
  • Sexual exploitation
  • Sex trafficking
  • Kidnapping
  • Abduction
  • Manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Felonious assault
  • Conspiracy
  • Witness tampering
  • Obstruction of Justice

You also must have crucial information about the criminal activity and be willing to help in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. If you are under the age of 16 years, a parent or guardian can fill this role. Additionally, you must obtain law enforcement certification from a prosecutor, judge, or other authority investigating criminal activity. You also can’t have criminal issues that render you inadmissible into the U.S.

Question #2: Which Immigration Form Do I File for a U-Visa?

You will need to file Form I-918 and provide evidence and supporting documents. There is no filing fee for Form I-918.

Question #3: Is It Hard to Get a U-Visa?

U-Visa cases require substantial paperwork and documentation. The first task is convincing a law enforcement agency to sign form I-918 Supplement B, which supports your visa petition. U-Visa petitions also require the gathering of factual evidence. If your U-Visa application doesn’t have adequate proof, you will be denied.

Our legal team at Musa-Obregon Law PC is here to assist if you want to petition for a U-Visa. We will gladly take the time to discuss your options and help you devise a strong legal strategy to pursue your immigration goals. Call (888) 502-8461 today or contact us online to schedule a case evaluation.


Request a Free Consultation

Nothing is more important to us than our clients. That’s why our initial consultations are always free.
    • Please enter your name.
    • Please enter your name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.