International Adoption: How to Bring Your Child Home

International adoption is a worthwhile endeavor, one that is sure to pay dividends for years to come. Getting to the point of actually bringing your child home with you, however, can sometimes take years and involves serious effort.

Whether you're ready to start the adoption process right away or are simply considering it for the future, it can be helpful to know what to expect. With some patience and commitment, you can experience the joy of international adoption.

How are international adoptions processed?

There are two classifications of countries that apply for adoptions – Hague Convention countries and Non-Hague Convention countries. Both sets of countries require you to be a U.S. citizen and either married or at least 25 years old.

You, your spouse, and any other adults in your household are required to be fingerprinted and undergo background checks. An adoption agency will then perform a home study in order to determine if you are fit to adopt a child.

If you are adopting a child from a Hague Convention country, you must file Form I-800A. Non-Hague Convention adopts require you to file Form I-600A. You may be charged a fee, depending on the number of children you are planning to adopt. These forms can take a long period of time before being approved, so it is best to do them right away.

Form I-800A is sent to the US embassy upon its approval, which then allows you to finish the adoption process and wait for your request to be granted. Your child will receive an immigrant visa before being taken home with you.

If you filed Form I-600A and it is approved, you are eligible to choose the orphan child you want to adopt. There are stipulations required with Non-Hague Convention countries, so it is important to understand these before choosing your child.

No matter what country you are hoping to adopt from, our firm can ensure that your forms are filed correctly and provide legal counsel every step of the way. Contact us today to speak with a New York City immigration lawyer.

  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2013 - Immigration
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • State Attorney Judicial Court NY
  • Avvo Superb
  • Avvo Superb

We speak many languages!

Musa-Obregon Law PC is committed to helping clients from every background. To best serve our clients, we offer legal counsel in the following languages:

  • English
  • Español
  • Po Polsku
  • Arabic
  • Portugues
  • English
  • Español
  • Po Polsku
  • Arabic
  • Portugues
  • Tagalog
  • Ukranian
  • Czech
  • Slovenian
  • Urdu
  • Punjabi
  • Hindi
  • Bengali
  • Farsi

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Our Locations:

  • Queens:

    2nd Floor,
    55-21 69th St
    Maspeth, NY 11378
    (718) 803-1000
  • New York City:

    757 Third Avenue,
    20th Floor
    New York, NY 10017
    (646) 363-6891
  • White Plains:

    199 Main Street,
    Suite 301
    White Plains, NY 10601
    (914) 721-0865