Immigration FAQ in NY

Helpful Answers from New York City & Queens Immigration Attorneys

Wading through the U.S. immigration process can be difficult, especially if you are doing it on your own. Our New York City immigration lawyers have provided some helpful answers to some of the most common questions about immigration laws and processes in the United States.

We represent individuals throughout Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Rockland County and Westchester County.

How can I replace a green card?

After you have been granted a green card, there is always the possibility that it can be lost, destroyed, expired, or otherwise invalidated. If you need to replace your green card, you can file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. You can do this online or through the mail.

I want to apply for citizenship through naturalization. How can I do this?

To apply for naturalization, you must fill out the N-400 form titled "Application for Naturalization." Naturalization is only available to certain qualifying individuals, so before you apply, be sure that you meet the eligibility requirements.

Can I qualify for U.S. citizenship as a family member of a citizen?

Yes, you can qualify for U.S. citizenship as a family member of a citizen. United States citizens can make petitions for certain family members with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Spouses, children, parents and siblings may all be able to qualify for green card (permanent residency) by way of forms such as the I-130, I-864 and I-485. If you are a U.S. citizen, you must show proof of citizenship and evidence of qualifying familial relationship if you wish to petition for a family member's green card or visa.

How can I qualify for a visa based on employment?

There are a few different ways to qualify for a visa through employment status. First you must decide if you are petitioning as a permanent worker or a temporary worker. Depending on the type of visa you are petitioning for, you may or may not need to already have a job offer from a U.S. employer. The employer must also be certified by the U.S. Department of Labor. If you are petitioning for a temporary or nonimmigrant visa, you can find the qualification and application information here.

If I plan on visiting the United States, can I extend my stay for longer than I anticipated?

If you are visiting the United States and you need to petition for an extension of your stay, you can file a request with USCIS. The form you will need is the I-539 "Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status." It is important to check your visa to determine the length of stay you are allowed before you have to worry about deportation. USCIS recommends submitting this petition at least 45 days before your lawful stay expires. To check the length of your stay, view your I-94.

I am a member of the U.S. armed forces but not a U.S. citizen. What are my options?

Whether you are a member of the U.S. armed forces or a close relative of a service member, you may be able to petition for citizenship this way. Naturalization by way of military service is made possible by § 328 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Where can I find United States immigration laws?

Immigration laws can be found in a few different places. The codes that USCIS enforce can be found in Title 8 of the Code of Federal Regulations, for example, while other statutes are detailed in the Immigration Nationality Act (INA). You can also learn information about past immigration decisions, proposed legislation and more from viewing administrative decisions by the USCIS Administrative Appeals Office as well as Federal Register Publications.

Do I need an attorney to assist with immigration?

You are in no way obligated to hire an attorney if you are dealing with an immigration issue such as applying for a visa or appealing a denied petition. However, it can be vastly beneficial to do so. An attorney can help you fill out the paperwork correctly as well as guide you through the process so that you can become a citizen as quickly as possible.

More questions? Call Musa-Obregon Law PC Serving New York!

If you still have questions that you would like answered, please do not hesitate to get a hold of our firm. Our New York City immigration attorneys have years of experience on our side which we can use to guide you through the immigration process successfully.

If you have more questions, call Musa-Obregon Law PC. Our Queens immigration attorneys are ready to provide answers!
Call us toll-free at 888-502-8461.

  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2013 - Immigration
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • State Attorney Judicial Court NY
  • Avvo Superb
  • Avvo Superb

We speak many languages!

Musa-Obregon Law PC is committed to helping clients from every background. To best serve our clients, we offer legal counsel in the following languages:

  • English
  • Español
  • Po Polsku
  • Arabic
  • Portugues
  • English
  • Español
  • Po Polsku
  • Arabic
  • Portugues
  • Tagalog
  • Ukranian
  • Czech
  • Slovenian
  • Urdu
  • Punjabi
  • Hindi
  • Bengali
  • Farsi

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Our Locations:

  • Queens:

    2nd Floor,
    55-21 69th St
    Maspeth, NY 11378
    (718) 803-1000
  • New York City:

    757 Third Avenue,
    20th Floor
    New York, NY 10017
    (646) 363-6891
  • White Plains:

    199 Main Street,
    Suite 301
    White Plains, NY 10601
    (914) 721-0865