What Is the Tier 4 Student Visa?

Tier 4 student visas are for adults who wish to live in the United Kingdom for educational purposes. If you are looking to study in the UK, then you may need to fill out and apply for the Tier 4 visa. There are different types of Tier 4 visas. The one you fill out will depend on your age, the length of stay, and a variety of other factors.

Some individuals are not required to apply for the Tier 4 visa. According to the United Kingdom Border Agency, there are four factors that could declare someone exempt from having to petition for this type of visa. If you are a resident of the United States, then you may not be exempt unless one or more of your grandparents was born in the UK. Other exemptions include EEA citizens, citizens of Switzerland, or citizens of a British overseas territory.

If you apply for the Tier 4 visa and your petition is granted, you will be able to receive an education in the United Kingdom. However, some individuals who are granted a Tier 4 visa will only be able to study and will not be able to gain employment legally.

Contact a Queens immigration attorney to learn whether or not you qualify for employment during your stay in the UK.

How Do You Qualify for a Tier 4 Visa?

In order to qualify for a Tier 4 visa, petitioners must also meet the points requirement. Every petitioner must earn 40 points in order to be granted a Tier 4 visa. The points are broken up into two categories. One category is worth 30 points and the other category is worth 10 points. 30 points are granted when an individual obtains a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS). In addition to the CAS, an individual must also demonstrate a firm grasp of the English language.

The remaining ten points an individual needs to qualify come from showing proof of funds. Each petitioner must show that they have enough money to cover courses as well as other living expenses such as rent, food and transportation. An immigration lawyer can help you compile all of the necessary evidence to prove that you meet the qualifications.

Special Amendment for Students Getting Their PhD

The UK Border Agency recently amended part of their Tier 4 visa requirements for PhD and points-based students. As of April 6, 2013, the agency states that "…if you are a PhD student completing your course, you can apply to stay in the UK for a further 12 months, beyond the end of your course to find skilled work or to set up as an entrepreneur. We are also amending the Rules for students studying in the UK under Tier 4 of the points-based system. From 6 April if you are studying in the UK the conditions of your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) will change and you will not be allowed to study at a lower level than your CAS states."

If you would like to learn more about the Tier 4 student visa for studying in the UK, please contact a New York immigration attorney from our firm today.

Categories: Visas, Immigration
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2013 - Immigration
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • State Attorney Judicial Court NY
  • Avvo Superb
  • Avvo Superb

We speak many languages!

Musa-Obregon Law PC is committed to helping clients from every background. To best serve our clients, we offer legal counsel in the following languages:

  • English
  • Español
  • Po Polsku
  • Arabic
  • Portugues
  • English
  • Español
  • Po Polsku
  • Arabic
  • Portugues
  • Tagalog
  • Ukranian
  • Czech
  • Slovenian
  • Urdu
  • Punjabi
  • Hindi
  • Bengali
  • Farsi

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Our Locations:

  • Queens:

    2nd Floor,
    55-21 69th St
    Maspeth, NY 11378
    (718) 803-1000
  • New York City:

    757 Third Avenue,
    20th Floor
    New York, NY 10017
    (646) 363-6891
  • White Plains:

    199 Main Street,
    Suite 301
    White Plains, NY 10601
    (914) 721-0865